ACTNews, JERUSALEM – Israeli armed forces attacked hundreds of protesters demonstrating on the 52nd anniversary of the Al-Aqsa Mosque burning, Saturday (8/21/2021). The Palestinian Ministry of Health (MOH) stated that of the 41 residents who were injured, two of them were critical, 35 were moderately injured, and four were lightly injured.
"27 of them had wounds on their lower legs. Two with limps in the upper part, two on the stomach, four on the head, and six on different parts of the body," said Firdaus Guritno from ACT's Global Humanity Response team, citing a statement from the Palestinian Ministry of Health, Saturday (8/21/2021).
Israeli soldiers, stationed along the border with Gaza, opened gunfire and teargas at the protesters, injuring 17 of them by gunfire and causing others to suffocate from teargas. Israeli gunfire has wounded a 13-year-old boy, who was shot in the head, health officials said, as protesters threw stones and burned tires during a demonstration along the border fence with Israel.
"This attack happened exactly three months after Israel attacked Gaza deadly for 11 days in May. Israel pounded Gaza with airstrikes, killing at least 260 Palestinians, including 67 children. Thousands of houses and public facilities belonging to residents were damaged, which made the humanitarian crisis there getting worse," said Firdaus.
Exactly 52 years ago, on August 21, 1969, a Zionist extremist tried to burn down the Al-Aqsa Mosque. They demolished parts of the Al-Qiblah Mosque, which is the main building within the Al-Aqsa compound, including priceless 1,000-year-old lumber and the mosque's pulpit that had been placed there by Muslim leader Salaheddin.