Another Israeli Attack in Jerusalem Wounds Over 20 Palestinians

Another attack on Palestinians was carried out by Israeli troops on Sunday (4/17/2022) around the Al-Aqsa compound. In total, the number of victims caused by the recent attacks increased to 170. ACTNews has gathered information from various sources about the reason behind the attacks carried out by Israeli forces.

israeli attack on palestine
Another Israeli attack on Palestinians around the Al-Aqsa compound took place on April 17, 2022. (MEE/Mahmoud Moutan)

ACTNews, JERUSALEM – More than 20 Palestinians were injured in another attack that happened in the Al-Aqsa Compound on Sunday (4/17/2021), two days after Israeli forces stormed Al-Qibli Mosque. Most of them suffered from wounds caused by rubber-coated bullets, bringing the total number of the wounded to 170 since the attack on Friday. Eighteen Palestinians were arrested.

In addition, there has been also an increase in Israeli attacks in the West Bank. Several Palestinians were shot and martyred by Israeli forces.

Firdaus Guritno from Aksi Cepat Tanggap (ACT)’s Global Humanity Network team explained that the tension in Al-Aqsa was caused by Israel celebrating Passover for 8 days, from April 15 to 23. During this celebration, Israeli troops and hundreds of settlers forced their way into Al-Aqsa to slaughter animals.

"This is of course a form of insult to the Al-Aqsa Mosque, one of Islam’s holiest places, and a form of provocation against the Palestinians. For this reason, the Palestinians are trying to continue to gather at Al-Aqsa Mosque. If there is an Islamic activity in Al-Aqsa, then Israel will have a hard time carrying out its plans," said Firdaus, Monday (4/18/2022).

Firdaus further mentioned that Israel had imposed a number of restrictions and closed the main road from the West Bank to the Old City in Jerusalem to prevent the arrival of more Palestinians to gather and worship at Al-Aqsa.

As reported by the Arab News, there were about 228 Israeli settlers who broke through Al-Aqsa on Sunday. Their arrival was closely guarded by Israeli armed forces. The troops had also previously expelled about 500 Palestinians who had gathered inside Al-Aqsa.

A number of Palestinian officials also urged Israel to stop all illegal and provocative actions that have caused a wave of attacks in recent days. The Palestinians also asked the international community to help take part in urging Israel to stop these actions that clearly violate international law.

“Israel’s dangerous escalation in the al-Aqsa compound is a blatant attack on our holy places,” said senior Palestinian official, Hussein Al Sheikh.

During Ramadan, Al-Aqsa is usually filled with tens of thousands of Palestinians every day. However, during this year's Ramadan, Israel imposes restrictions that prevented Palestinians from worshiping at Al-Aqsa. They bar Palestinian men under the age of 40 from entering the mosque and require Palestinians aged 40 or above to have entry permits to get inside the mosque. []