Dozens of Yemenis Die in Conflict in Last Week

Last week, hundreds of people died due to Yemen's conflict. Children and women were among the victims.

Dozens of Yemenis
Illustration. Dozens of Yemenis die in the conflict. (Abduljabbar Zeyad/ICRC)

ACTNews, YAMAN – At least 70 people have been killed after an airstrike by the Saudi-led coalition hit a detention center in the northern city of Saada, Yemen, Friday (1/21/2022), the Red Cross said.

The International Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC) in Yemen said that over 100 detainees were killed and injured. Doctors Without Borders said separately that the number of wounded alone was around 200 people.

According to some humanitarian organizations, the attack was one of the worst in Yemeni history. The field was next to a telecommunications center, which had also been damaged by the barrage.

There were reports that the death toll across the country would rise as aid workers and paramedics in both regions continued to clear the rubble. Medecins Sans Frontieres reported that one hospital alone in Saada city had counted 70 dead, indicating the death toll was higher.

Ahmed Mahat, MSF’s head of mission in Yemen, said Al-Gumhourriyeh Hospital in Saada was “so overwhelmed that they cannot take any more patients”.

“We have donated medical supplies to the hospital, but we know it is not enough to deal with all the casualties. We will urgently send more supplies and organize referrals,” he added.

Save the Children said recent escalations in conflict across Yemen resulted in a 60 percent increase in civilian casualties in the last three months of 2021, with 2022 already poised to have wider consequences for civilians.

They said Yemen’s hospitals, schools, water infrastructure, and roads are in disarray after nearly seven years of conflict, further disrupting the lives of children and their families.[]