Hundreds of Meal Packages Distributed to the Survivors of Wamena Conflict

The distributions took place in Yonif 751 Sentani post and in a post managed by Kerukunan Keluarga Sulawesi Selatan (KKSS).

Volunteers cooking the meals for the survivors of Wamena conflict. (ACTNews/Eko Ramdani)

ACTNews, JAYAPURA - Hundreds of evacuees in Wamena received aid in the form of prepared meals provided by Aksi Cepat Tanggap (ACT). The meal packages were cooked on Sunday (10/6) by ACT in collaboration with female volunteers from Institut Agama Islam Negeri (IAIN) Fattahul Muluk, Jayapura City, Papua.

Wahyu Novyan as ACT’s Commander of the National Command Post for Wamena Humanitarian Tragedy explained that the meals cooked at the IAIN Fattahul Muluk’s women's dormitory would later be distributed at two evacuation locations in Sentani.

"Later, we will distribute these meals to two evacuation posts which we have previously supplied with food, namely Yonif 751 Sentani and posts managed by Kerukunan Keluarga Sulawesi Selatan (KKSS)," Wahyu said.

The distribution of the meals, according to Wahyu, was the initial step in cooperating with female volunteers from IAIN Fattahul Muluk. The team is still trying to establish ACT Public Kitchen in Rindam XVII / Cenderawasih and Yonif 751 Sentani. When the two public kitchens at these posts are activated, meal distribution will be even more massive.



Students at IAIN Fattahul Muluk are preparing meals that will be distributed to the evacuees. (ACTNews / Eko Ramdani)

"Insha Allah, in the future, we plan to intensify the activities in the Public Kitchens with the collaboration with Rindam XVII / Cenderawasih and Yonif 751 Sentani. We aim to cook hundreds of servings, both in Rindam and also Yonif 751 Sentani, " Wahyu said.

The team will also conduct an assessment to the post in the Main Navy Base (Lantamal) Jayapura. Wahyu hopes that in the future he will be able to collaborate with the post in the Lantamal for other humanitarian actions.

The conflict has rendered many people homeless. According to Disaster Management Institute of Indonesia (DMII) as of Monday (10/7), as many as 165 houses and 465 shop houses were burned. While 1,726 people are still displaced in a number of scattered posts. []