ACTNews, PEKALONGAN - Hundreds of residents affected by flooding in Pekalongan City are still in evacuation sites. The team from Aksi Cepat Tanggap (ACT) and Masyarakat Relawan Indonesia (MRI) Tegal visited three evacuation sites on Monday (1/27).
The team visited the evacuation post in Tirto Village, West Pekalongan Subdistrict. Around 78 people evacuated to this location. Muhtarom, Military District Command Sector personnel who was on standby at the location, said that most of the evacuees had returned home. "The team that is on standby at the evacuation site consists of volunteers from Military District Command Sector, Regional Disaster Mitigation Board, and Pekalongan City Red Cross," Muhtarom said.
The team then visited in RT 02 RW 08 Boyo Teluk Village, Siwalan Subdistrict, Pekalongan Regency. Sugi, Head of RT 02 said that in Boyo Teluk Village there were several RTs that were affected by flooding with the average water height of 30 centimeters. "In RT 02 there were around 35 affected households. We have not received any assistance. However, Alhamdulillah, the community activities other than rice farming can still be done so that the people here can still eat, "said Sugi.
Boyo Teluk Village, the team then left for Klego Village, East Pekalongan Subdistrict, Pekalongan City. Adinda Fiqih Damayanti from the ACT Tegal Program Team said that Klego Village was frequently hit by flood especially after heavy rains.
"Drainage system in the village does not work properly so that the water can’t flow directly to the sea," Adinda said. The team found out that the flood victims need food and medicines for skin diseases.
The team’s visit aimed to assess the conditions of the flood-hit communities. "We are preparing for further programs. We hope that we’ll be ready to provide assistance that they need, "said Adinda.
Heavy rains that had fallen since last week caused flooding in several in Pekalongan. The river can no longer hold the abundant amount of water due to upstream currents.