ACTNews, MAKASSAR – A fire broke out at Lepping Housing Complex in Makassar City on Wednesday (8/11/2021) at 2 p.m. Central Indonesia Time. This disaster really shocked the local residents. As many as 95 houses were burned down.
There were no casualties in this disaster. However, the material loss is estimated to reach billions of rupiah. The victims evacuated to nearby mosques.
Jumaria (45) was one of the residents affected by the fire. Her house is razed to the ground, and the only possessions she had were the clothes she wore on her body. She admitted that there was nothing she could do.
"I have no more belongings left, including the money that I saved at home. All of my money has been burned,” said Jumaria when met by Aksi Cepat Tanggap (ACT).
At the time of the incident, all Jumaria thought about was to save herself and her family. What remains is the cloth that she wore. At night, Jumaria’s family and other fire victims stay in tents.
"I don't know where to go," he said.
Waiting for help
After the fire, ACT and Masyarakat Relawan Indonesia (MRI) volunteers immediately established a humanitarian post near the fire site. The post will be used to store the aid packages that will be distributed evenly in stages. The team is still assessing the needs of the fire victims.
"The fire victims are waiting for assistance in the form of meal packages, staple food packages, new clothes, baby supplies, tents, mats, blankets, and assistance for house renovations,” said FIrman of ACT Sulawesi Program Department.
The cause of the fire is suspected to be one of the houses in which the occupants were cooking and a stove exploded. As many as 397 survivors evacuated to the nearby mosques or stayed in the remains of their houses, sleeping on mats without a roof.